Friday, October 9, 2009

The Black and Blue Quilt




I made this quilt for my DGD #2. Now my GD is just so fun to be around. She also scares me. That little girl, yes she is only 7 years old, is not afraid of nothing. She runs, throws, jumps, ride, and when we are swimming....she loves to be under water all the time. Just my little tomboy, with black and blue knee's. So when I asked her what color did she want in her quilt for her bed. She told me....I don't like pink, and purple is too girly... how about black and blue.


Black and Blue, oh my. What am I going to make, to keep it light and fun for a little girl. First thing I thought about doing was a string quilt. But the oldest GD has a pink and white string, and I wanted the quilts to be different. So I started looking into my patterns I have, and it was about only 10 minutes, and this pattern just jumped right out at me. I have machine applique a cat in the center of some of the blocks. And I tell you what.....she loves it, and so do I. And it took a 7 yr. old to teach me, that black and blue's can be fun.

20 comments:

  1. I love this quilt and the cats are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great solution to the black and blue challenge. I love the quilt. Just goes to show that a log cabin can be used for just about anything! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cats so this quilt really caught my eye. I know GD#2 is crazy about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!!! your use of color is wonderful! may I use your idea?
    thansk for sharing
    Beth in Dallas

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like a girl that knows her mind. You did a good job meeting her specifications while keeping it kid like. My daughter would love the kitty in the center. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delightful quilt. And I love your orange cats. Any chance you can share more insights on how you created the cute cats? Purrfect!

    Thanks for sharing and for participating in the Bloggers' Quilt Festival.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thx's Guys....I do love this quilt. It makes me smile when I see it..!! Beth - go right ahead and make this, you'll have fun. And I have a simple home embroidery machine....that is what I use to help me do applique...and that is what I used for this one. And I am loving the Quilt Festival!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very happy and bright quilt, and I LOVE the cats sitting in the middle of the blocks, like cats always want to do! Your GD is a lucky girl. Thanks for sharing your quilt's story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that's a wonderful quilt, and the granddaughter sounds delightful.
    My grown daughter is the same way, afraid of NOTHING, and it has served her well in the life she has chosen, following her army-man husband.
    Just entrust your granddaughter to the LORD, and he will go with her, keeping her safe.
    Your black and white prints just make this quilt sing, mixed with the bright colors......well done !

    ReplyDelete
  10. My daughter (9) also doesn't want pink/flowers. Her favorite colors are green and brown. I hope I come up with something as beautiful as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is really, really cute. Love the cats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love log cabins and with a cat in the center... what could be cuter?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow incredible quilt! Love the detail.

    Jocelyn
    http://happycottagequilter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete